Damien Hailey (samas_1@hotmail.com)
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 03:04:37

>From: Franz G Co
>To: gundam@aeug.org
>Subject: Re: [gundam] Gundam 0080........Why did what happen, happen?
>Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:25:51 -0500 (EST)

No, because we ALREADY have that reaction, watching Al crying at the assembly.  Even though he's surrounded by his friends, because no one else went through what he did.  Remember, his friends were saying how the Next War would be better than ever.  But all Al was thinking was about the pain he saw and felt.  The destruction brought about by the Kampfer's rampage, and watching one of his closest friends kill someone else just as close to him.  You could see that he was hoping for a happy ending as much as everyone else.  Destroy the Gundam, save everyone, and maybe Bernie could stay with him and/or Chris.  But in one day, he saw everything literally go up in flames, as Bernie's Zaku exploded.  I'm sure Al was as much afraid that Chris was killed in the explosion as he was horrified to find out she was the Gundam's pilot.

It's like the tactic of leaving one soldier alive instead of slaughtering the whole army.  Al is that one soldier.  He's the only person in the universe who knows what it really looked and felt like, and no matter what he tells anyone else, the only one who will understand the pain.