Franz G Co (darkholy@saintly.com)
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:25:51 -0500 (EST)

------Original Message------
From: "Juan Alberto B. Mercado" <juanalberto.m@lycos.com>
To: gundam@aeug.org
Sent: March 30, 2001 8:14:57 AM GMT
Subject: Re: [gundam] Gundam 0080........Why did what happen, happen?

>>Although, the message (to the watcher) could actually have >been
strengthened
>>if Al died. Since the ending would be one that isn't good, >you'd feel
>>agitated and want to do something. You know, ala Grave of the >Fireflies.
Of
>>course in 0080s case I think letting Al suffer the death >Bernie by Chris'
>>hands and Chris herself being sent to the ICU was enough to >get the point
>>across.

>I disagree. Al's survival burdens him with the knowledge of >such truths
and the irony of that for people living comfortably >in peace is
discomforting to sayt he least. This to me is the >true theme of 0080, which
is to survive with the knowledge that >all we saw as heroic and adventurous
in our youth is really not >so beautiful after all. In Grave of the
Firefles, the children >witnessed war firsthand with the rest of their
nation, and as >such the truth to them is mutual and shared. In 0080, the
truth >of war is "unreal" as it is today. I remember the EDSA II
>revolution. So many pinoy "kids" from the upper class were >there shouting
out their displeasure for a corrupt government. >I see that as an illusion
much like Al's. To them, the >revolution is heroic, righteous and fun. In
truth, it is very >serious. I don't think many of those kids really
understand the >implication of that, because they don't know corruption and
>suffering firsthand. I'm somewhat proud to say that I do, >working with
farmers and seeing them in wretched straits during >my past jobs and at
school. The spirit wasn't there, especially >for the EDSA kids. I want to
lambast these burgeousie bastards >for thinking themselves so righteous when
they know nothing at >all. Al is different. He witnessed and survived. He
will know, >thus he will act... That to me is 0080, witnessing and
>surviving.

But wouldn't it be more tragic if he witnessed and didn't survive? With no
one left to tell the truth about war, wouldn't that leave the viewer with a
feeling of "this isn't right, this shouldn't have happened this way" which
would spur the viewer into action?

Shop through Barnes and Nobles
help me earn cash too.