Dafydd Neal Dyar (dafydd@dyarstraights.com)
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:41:02 -0800

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:48:08 +0800, RX-93-V-2 Hi-Nu Gundam (James R.2) wrote:

> Does anyone here know the weapon ranges for the various weapons
> (from vulcans to funnels/bits and anything that falls under and
> between them) featured in UC0079? I've gone to Mark Simmons'
> gundamproject.com and there seems to be no mention of weapon
> ranges, and other sites doesn't too.
>
>This is in connection with evilrichie (tm - Garrick gave this to
> him anyway) and the gang's (okay...I'm one of them...and so is
> Garrick) alternate gundam universe project, which is gradually
> getting off the ground. Thanks!

No, I've never seen any specific weapon ranges given, but there's a figure that
implies the MAXIMUM range and that's the Sensor Radius. Obviously, you can't
shoot what you can't see and it would be problematic to have weapons that fire
beyond the range of the sensors -- that's just begging for "friendly fire"
casualties!

Here are the sensor radii of the One Year War mobile suits, compiled from
Burke's Big List O' Gundam Mecha:

RB-79 Ball = 4,000 meters
RB-79K Ball = 4,000 meters
RGM-79 GM = 6,000 meters
RGM-79[G] GM = 6,000 meters
RGM-79D GM = 5,790 meters
RGM-79G GM = 6,000 meters
RGM-79GS GM = 6,000 meters
RGM-79SP GM = 8,700 meters
RX-75-4 Guntank = 6,000 meters
RX-77-2 Guncannon = 6,000 meters
RX-77D Guncannon = 7,300 meters
RX-78-2 Gundam = 5,700 meters
RX-78NT-1 Gundam = 5,900 meters
RX-79[G] Gundam = 5,900 meters

MA-05 Bigro = 111,000 meters
MA-08 Big Zam = 134,000 meters
MAN-03 Braw Bro = 156.000 meters
MAN-08 Elmeth = 245,000 meters
MS-05B Zaku I = 2,900 meters
MS-06F Zaku II = 3,200 meters
MS-06FZ Zaku II = 3,200 meters
MS-06J Zaku II = 3,200 meters
MS-06RD-4 Zaku II = 3,200 meters
MS-06S Zaku II = 3,200 meters
MS-06V Zaku Tank = 2,900 meters
MS-07B Gouf = 3,600 meters
MS-07B3 Gouf = 3,600 meters
MS-07H8 Gouf = 3,600 meters
MS-09 Dom = 5,400 meters
MS-09R Rick Dom = 5,400 meters
MS-09RII Rick Dom = 5,400 meters
MS-14A Gelgoog = 6,300 meters
MS-14Jg Gelgoog = 6,300 meters
MS-18E Kämpfer = 6,100 meters
MSM-07 Z'Gok = 5,200 meters
MSM-07S Z'Gok = 5,200 meters
MSN-02 Zeong = 81,000 meters
YMS-15 Gyan = 4,400 meters
Apsaras = 3,200 meters
Apsaras III = 3,200 meters

This doesn't answer your question, which was the EFFECTIVE range of any of the
individual weapons, but it does give you the maximum area that each MS or MA can
cover.

There's yet another approach, which is to take the effective range of the
equivalent RL small arm or side arm and multiply by ten. A 60mm Vulcan is thus
viewed as a scaled up 6mm (.24 caliber) and a 90mm Gatling as a 9mm (.36
caliber), with a correspondingly scaled up propellant charge, muzzle velocity
and effective range. This disallows the cube-square ratio, of course, but it
gives you a ballpark figure from which to extrapolate a reasonable and
consistent value.

-Z-