Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:14:57 -0800

>Although, the message (to the watcher) could actually have been strengthened
>if Al died. Since the ending would be one that isn't good, you'd feel
>agitated and want to do something. You know, ala Grave of the Fireflies. Of
>course in 0080s case I think letting Al suffer the death Bernie by Chris'
>hands and Chris herself being sent to the ICU was enough to get the point
>across.

I disagree. Al's survival burdens him with the knowledge of such truths and the irony of that for people living comfortably in peace is discomforting to sayt he least. This to me is the true theme of 0080, which is to survive with the knowledge that all we saw as heroic and adventurous in our youth is really not so beautiful after all. In Grave of the Firefles, the children witnessed war firsthand with the rest of their nation, and as such the truth to them is mutual and shared. In 0080, the truth of war is "unreal" as it is today. I remember the EDSA II revolution. So many pinoy "kids" from the upper class were there shouting out their displeasure for a corrupt government. I see that as an illusion much like Al's. To them, the revolution is heroic, righteous and fun. In truth, it is very serious. I don't think many of those kids really understand the implication of that, because they don't know corruption and suffering firsthand. I'm somewhat proud to say that I do, working with farmers and seeing them in w
retched straits during my past jobs and at school. The spirit wasn't there, especially for the EDSA kids. I want to lambast these burgeousie bastards for thinking themselves so righteous when they know nothing at all. Al is different. He witnessed and survived. He will know, thus he will act... That to me is 0080, witnessing and surviving.