Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:39:52 -0800

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:18:47
 Zhao Pan wrote:
>I can't believe you said that!?! Alfred is among the most likable characters
>ever appear in a Gundam show. IMHO, none of the characters deserve to die in
>0080, the writer of the series managed to show the good side of every
>character.

I think so too. And as I said earlier, if Al died then 0080 is pointless. (OK..Rant time)

Gundam 0080 shows war through a very unique perspective which is throught he eyes of youth during peacetime. Yes, peacetime. It was explicit in 0079 that Side 6 is neutral and as such the war was not really felt in that region (basically like it is today when other parts of the world are at war). Al is young and severely illusioned about the concept of war and righteousness (much like every other kid who likes to play videogames or watch hero stories). He actually gets the chance to participate in one and finds out firsthand just how horrible it is. Al and his friends represent the youth, naive and full of fantasies. Bernie's death was necessary for Al to realize the truth, after all, it is the youth who will carry the world into the future, such that they must learn from the mistakes of the old. If Al died, then this message dies with him. His friends still didn't understand, much like how it is in real life. That's sad.

---
Abet
"Dete Unakereba, Yararenakatta no ni!"
Come on over to the ALTERNATIVE SIDE at