BlazeEagle (blazeeagle@charter.net)
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 04:36:14 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Franz G Co" <darkholy@saintly.com>
> Actually, i like gundam because the focus on the mecha does not
overshadfow
> the characters, in fat, at times the focus goes more on the characters and
> not the mecha. Personally I ike this as although mecha are nice, people
are
> mroe important.

Right, I feel this way too, but I feel the way that is in my last post too.
I think it's well done how the mecha never seems to over shadow the
characters.

> SPOILER WARNING
>

> 0080 throws a wrench in this equation, isn't it the Gundam that brings
havoc
> to Side 6's Libot colony in the first place. sure if it weren't for the
> Gundam Bernie and Chris would never have met. But uf not for it's
presence
> in Libot, less people would have died and Al wouldnt have gone through all
> that. 0080 on a deeper level questions the assumption that Gundam is a
> symbol for freedom, hopes, dreams and eventual peace. Remember, the
Gundam
> is a war machine no matter how you look at it and can only bring out more
> suffering. Notice that in the end of most Gundam series, the main Mecha
> gets destroyed. The gundam isnt' the symbol for freedom, hopes, dreams
and
> peace, it's people who are the symbol, more precisely the youth. That's
why
> in Wing they had to destroy all the Gundams and why Char and Amuro could
> only get to an agrement after the RX-78-2 was destroyed and could only end
> their rivalry with the sacrifice of the Nu-Gundam.

Right, I understand all your points, but getting rid of all weapons will
never make peace permanet. Bare hands can kill and cause pain too, you know.
Until the violent part of humans is either controled or suppresed, there
will always be war. Taking away weapons just delays wars and violence. A
knife and a fork could be used as weapons, but we can't take away those, as
that's how we cut our food up and eat it. Wing's ending is naive and
unrealstic. A Mobile Suit doesn't kill people, a weapon doesn't kill people,
they are tools used by people to kill people. Just because all MS are
destroyed, is no safety measure. MS or something similar could be made again
and the whole thing could start over again. Weapons can cause death, but
weapons can also be used to defend peace aganist the never ending evil of
some humans. Getting rid of weapons just makes it easier for someone to come
in and enforce their will, through violence, then it starts again. Instead
of getting rid of weapons, people need to respect them and not let their
anger cause them to do horrible things. Also, teach people about weapons, to
prevent accidental death from them. Weapons and fists are only horrible,
when used for wrong . The evil people are the worst type of danger.

> But the deeper story is between the characters themselves.

Yep.

Aaron aka BlazeEagle
"Believing a sign of Zeta"