garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:19:43 -0800 (PST)

> Some may argue "Yes, it can, look at 0080". Which
> was a good story, but
> Gundam IS a mecha show and a Gundam show with barely
> any mecha battles is
> like music coming through a muffled speaker, it's
> music, but it's muffled,
> so it's not the way the music was intended to be
> heard. The battles 0080 did
> have where some of the best, but it felt like a
> muffled Gundam story to me.
> It can't be Gundam, if a Gundam isn't in it. It
> could, but the Gundam was
> created to be a symbol and some Gundam shows, 0080
> included, seem to forgot
> this. From what I gather, a Gundam is a symbol for
> freedom, hopes and dreams
> as well as eventuall peace, at least for a while
> anyway.

errr...aaron, you've made your point about 0080
already a long time ago. :P

0080 did NOT forget the mecha. steering away from the
mecha, but keeping them in the background is one of
the strong points of 0080. the music through
speakers analogy is non sequitur. :P

you can have an ova about a gm squad WITHOUT gundams,
and it would very well be a gundam story.

ok ok, so you didn't like 0080 because of the rarity
of mecha. some of us liked 0080 because of that (and
other things). so let's just agree to disagree, lest
you get all worked up again about how no one should
tell you that you didn't get the point of 0080.

> Some probably won't admit it, but anyone who builds
> Gundam kits is a fan of
> the mecha.

of course we like the mecha.

but that's beside the point. the point is, we'd still
be liking gundam for the story if it didn't have the
mecha.

i just happen to enjoy the model kits because i'm into
scale modelling as a hobby myself.

>One doesn't build tank kits if they don't
> like tanks, right? I
> don't like tanks, but I do like some cars and
> planes. Yes, just because
> someone drives a car, doesn't mean they are a fan of
> them or even like them,
> they are required transportion, at least in the US,
> but one doesn't buy
> mecha kits just to buy them, they buy them because
> they like mecha and
> building stuff, even though they probably have other
> interests. Mecha does
> sale :) If it wasn't popualar and didn't sale, they
> wouldn't be made. Gundam
> is basically a toy ad, it's not pretty, but it's the
> truth.

er...no no no, a dozen times no.

"toy ad" shows (quality or not, notwithstanding) are
gijoe, he-man, transformers, silverhawks, thundercats,
et al. walking talking running 30 minute toy
commercials. the toys -- for all practical purposes
and intents -- came first and the schmucky companies
needed a show to palm the toys off to "gullible" kids.

otoh, tomino was practically strongarmed into chucking
robots in so his show could be sponsored by the
toymakers.

that's a small but important difference. the latter
kind of shows usually have better overall quality and
are more mature than the former, merchandise-driven
shows if only because content came first.

>Gundam just
> happens to always have good stories.

you got it the other way around. gundam is a good
story that just happened to have slick mecha designs.

at least, up until turn-a and g-saviour. and from
what we've seen of 'for the barrel', intentionally
unappealing mechs seem to be the fad these days.

>I've seen the
> first four episodes of
> Zeta, several of 08th MS Team, F91, all of GW and
> all focus on the mecha and
> mecha battles, mecha are always a central part to
> Gundam. 0080 was a
> personal story more then other Gundam shows , but
> 0080 still revolved around
> mecha, namely on destroying the NT-1 Gundam Alex.

and WHY did they want to destroy the nt-1?

the plot and story doesn't just end with them wanting
to destroy the nt-1. get what i mean?

-garr