Vince Leon (vleon@u.arizona.edu)
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:03:37 -0700

Anyway someone can scan images of the Perfect Nu Gundam. Please....

Vince Leon
vleon@u.arizona.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Zhao Pan [SMTP:zhaopan@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 1:48 PM
To: gundam@aeug.org
Subject: [gundam] Gundam bookreview: Gundam Weapons CCA Special Edition

Title: Gundam Weapons: Char's Counter Attack Special Edition
Publisher: Hobby Japan
Release Date: 02/03/2001
Format: 30cm x 24cm softbound outer slipcase; 133 pages (110 color pages, 23
mono color pages)
Price: ?1429
ISBN4-89425-246-5

Whoa, this new Mook is a must have if you are a CCA fan! The shear number of
nu Gundam and Sazabi pictures make me feel like in heaven.

Here's a summary of all the modelsfeature in this Mook. The Cover is the MG
RX 93 v Gundam modeled by Toshinobu Matsumura.

As soon as you flip the page, you are threated with a foldup mini-poste of
the MG Sazabi and MG nu Gundam.

After a two page series recap, here comes the kit review and 3 variations of
the standard nu Gundam. The first two were based on the new MG kit and
features some subtle and cosmetic modification of the excellent MG kit. The
last one, modeled by Hiroshi Iseya, is based on the old Bandai 1/100 nu
Gundam kit from the CCA series. While this kit is technically inferior to
the new MG kit, with Hiroshi's modifications, it looks and poses better than
the new kits! It has moving pistons in the ankles, knees, chest, and even
the waist!

Then comes the Heavy Weapon System type of the nu Gundam. The armors can be
detached to become the standard nu Gundam. The conversion doesn't appear to
be very difficult so I might try it on my MG kit.

Following the HWS nu Gundam is the RX-94 Mass-production type nu Gundam. It
is converted from the MG kit and its head looks remarkably similar to the
RX-78 G3.

Next up is the Hi-nu conversion of the MG kit. The finished model looks more
intimidating than the standard nu Gundam due to its long Kondo-styled skirt
armor and feet. However, no in-progree pictures are provided.

Then we have an interesting Perfect nu Gundam, also converted from the MG
kit. If I am not mistaken, this is the first time I've heard of a Perfect nu
Gundam. It has two extra beam cannons mounted on its right forearms and a
rectangular fuel tank on each of its shoulder. The funnels are arranged
differently on its backpack. Also, there are many extra thrusters on its
legs and the back of its shoulders. Overall, I have to say this is a
interesting design.

Now we are in to the Sazabi part of the book. We have two variations of the
MG kit done by Max Wantanbe and Hiroshi Iseya. Both of them designed new
shoulder joints to give the model more flexiblity. However, Wantanabe
significantly reshaped the chest, shoulder and forearms of the Sazabi. He
also solved the poseability problem of the legs by designing a new hip
system. After a nice paint job and a glossy shiny coat, the Sazabi looks
very nice. Although I still don't like the proportion of the model. The
lower legs are a little too short and the shoulders are still too big.

Now we have a Land battle version of the sazabi with a green and black paint
scheme. If you like militaristic Mobile Suit, you will love this one!

For those who are expecting the Nightingale, you will be disappointed. There
are only two pages on this suit with not alot of details.

Here's a good news, we are only half-way thru the book! Now we have an
entire section on MG conversions:
- RGZ-91 conversion from the MG Zeta kit. It's also fully transformable.
- RGM-89 jegan conversion from the MG MK-II and GM Custom kits.
- Stark Jegan from the MG Quel.
- GM III from the MG Mk II and GM kits.

If you have any of the old 1/144 CCA kits, then here's a section just for
you! There are tips from Pro-modelers on how to give those old kits
makeovers.

There are three more conversions from 1/144 kits into the Hobby Hi-zack,
Geara Doga (Psychmu Test type) and Psycho Geara Doga.

Finally, there are articles by the pro-modelers in Japanese text.

There are also some official design works and line arts by the mecha
designers of the CCA series.

Overall, this is an excellent Gundam Weapons. While there are fewer
"in-progress" photos than other Gundam Weapons Mooks, it makes up for it by
showing many interesting model-building ideas. For Y1450, this is not a bad
investment.

Reviewed by Zhao Pan
March, 28, 01