CHIN, Chien Ting (chin@tch.fgg.eur.nl)
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:54:16 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Marcel Tualla wrote:
> Gunze Sangyo he is using IS an acrylic and when in its liquid state IS water
> soluble.

Wrong wrong wrong. GS has two types, what's commonly available in US is
acrylic (the H series). In Asia, equally available is the lacquer series
(no H, just numbers). Gundam Color (the jars not the liners) is part of
the lacquer series. If you don't believe me, believe Max.

> I actually have 2 sets of brushes one set for my acrylic paints and
> another set for my enamel based paints. I also find that after
> cleaning your brushes with a lacquered thinner that if you use an
> acrylic painted right after, the acrylic paint takes one or two "dips"
> before the paint finally clings to the brush.

There are 3 types of paints, not just 2. Acrylic (GS and Tamiya), enamel
(Tamiya and Testor) and laquer (GS). Acrylic is not compatible with the
other 2. Enamel and laquer thinners are also different, but can mix a
little bit. Laquer thinner is not "stronger", it's not as effective as
enamel thinner for washing enamel. That's why the acrylic paint takes
longer to cling on the lacquer-washed brushes. If you are using only
acrylics and enamels, then there's no reason for you to use lacquer
thinner ever.

It's not a bad idea to use 2 or 3 sets of brushes for different types of
paint, but I am too lazy to do that myself :)

> General rule of thumb is to use lacquer based thinners to clean and
> thin your enamel based paints and brushes and the prespective acrylic
> thinner to thin and clean the acrylic brushes and paints.

Wrong. The correct rule of thumb (and fingers and toes) is to use lacquer
thinner for lacquer paint, enamel thinner for enamel paint, acrylic
thinner/water/alcohol for acrylic paint. Lacquer and enamel thinners
smell differently, not that I do it regularly ;)

Use brandname thinner for mixing paint, use bulk thinner for washing
brush. If your brushes are so delicated that it's destroyed by household
thinner, you are probably using plastic or man-made fibre. They are crap.
:)

It's true given enough time, lacquer thinner can dissolve anything, but I
don't think you can do anything constructive with that.

Dr. Core
Brain Surgeon
Newtype Asylum
http://side7.gundam.com/newtype_asylum