Paul Fields (johnny_raiden@hotmail.com)
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:46:00 -0500

> But I can't blame this "Female Canadian Critic" I mean, its probably
because they've never seen animation that is not centered exclusively for
children. Let's face it, the western world views animation as "cartoons",
kids' stuff and should not be taken seriously. They wouldn't understand the
depth of Gundam...

Can't remember it right now, but Canada has one of the world's best
animation schools... Also Vancouver is one of the larges Chinese cities
in the world, so I don't think they've never seen anime before.

> >> The big problem is that it is definitely having an
> >> influence on today's North
> >> American animation.

Actually I sympathize here, I loved 08th MS team's mechanicals, but hate
the character designs, of course there are only a few anime's who's style of
characters I do like... 0080, 0083, Char's Counterattack, Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell, Macross "Do you remember Love" etc... and F91

I don't remember who it was but one animator started all the simplified face
and character crap in the 80's these are the kinds of all-look-alike charas
you
get in Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, Pokemon, 08th MS team, Gundam X
and the rest of 90's mainstream animation. Now I'll still watch these things
if
the story is good, but the skill of tha animators and some realism are being
traded off for funny looking faces, which have more exaggerated expressions
and take less time to draw.

Paul