Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:02:05 +0800

To be honest, I don't really trust reviews from people who do stuff on the
creative end. ^_^ Their tastes are very rigid since it melds with something
very personal - their creations - and their beliefs on how to approach such
are melded in concrete in their minds. I work with professional comic book
artists so I sympathize a bit with the p.o.v. of the animators. I've tried
introducing some cutting edge Japanese shonen manga that got blank stares
from them - who are weaned on action Manga and American Superhero books.

Professional critics are people who know how to appreciate often. They sit
back and try to enjoy stuff. They discuss a work's virtues as well as stuff
in it that makes you moan out in grief. Most importantly, they're writers.
People who can communicate ideas well. I feel that the pro animators there
probably didn't want to say such heavily opinionated ideas, thinking that
saying it-like-it-should-be is clear enough. Part of good criticism is in
the presentation of ideas and as to "why" this thing doesn't work - and
making it sound as if you've formulated your opinion based on an adequate
body of experience - not just "that's the bottom line because Stone Cold
says so".

To be honest, to compare Gundam to a Disney standard of animation (sorry
Garrick - but if you've not seen Tarzan yet, you've been proven wrong) is a
bit unfair. The animators don't realize this, they don't have enough insight
to infer it. And even if they know how to present an image to an audience,
they can't present an idea if they don't know how a common person looks at
stuff and how a body of work is placed in the scheme of things. Imagine if a
pro critic who only knows action films gets presented a French film based on
the slow life of the countryside. Even if his ideas are a bit skewed because
of his limited point of view, a pro critic is obliged to research a bit on
his subject - discovering other films - before he can make a very studied
opinion worth his time. :)

Everybody can be a critic, yes. But presenting the idea as to why something
stinks, can be a little tricky. :P

Fed