oom9@crosswinds.net
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:36:36 -0500

Three critics-one movie critic and two animators-were asked to look at three
Gundam clips. The first was a scene from 0083 episode 7 featuring a conversation
between Kou Uraki and Keith talking about Nina(This is the scene in which Kou
drops his carrots). The next two were from Endless Waltz-Heero starting up the
Wing Zero and the battle between Wing Zero and Nataku. Here's what they thought.(Actually,
the critic viewed Episode 48 of Gundam Wing).
Anyway...

I like the style particularly in "Gundam Wing." I find it very exciting and
comic book-like in its appearance.

As for the animation -- the way things actually MOVE on the screen, which is
what this whole debate is actually about -- the animation continues to leave
me cold. Characters are generally motionless except when speaking, and even
then, only their lips move. There is very little in the way of shadows or muscle
movement. Characters don't blink very much.-Movie critic

 Yawn, I dont think this is animation. This is just graphics that just move.
There is no acting..no principles of animation.Go study some real animation.
like old Disney. Warner Bros.. Get an education!!!!! This Gundam is not animation.NO
EXPRESSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!THEY DONT MOVE..THERE IS NO WEIGHT!!!!(Note:Gee, could
it be because they're in Zero G?)-Female Canadian animator.

There tends to be a lot of emphasis on action, rather than characterization.
The characters move, but they do not possess that "illusion of life" that Frank
and Ollie talk about in regard to Disney-style animation. I'm just not a fan
of battling robots and things that explode. In short, it is not my cup of tea.

The big problem is that it is definitely having an influence on today's North
American animation. The young fledgling animators coming out of the various
animation schools are so easily impressed with this lifeless crud, that its
design influence is showing in much of the TV animation here. Dull, lifeless
excuses for characters. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but only
the pure cartoon sensibilities of John Kricfalusi and a mere handful of others
have created a few gems along the way. The art of cartooning is dying out fast,
due in large part to the Japanese influence. Sorry, but that makes me angry
as hell, and I don't care how many noses I put out of joint with these comments.
The industry needs a good shakeup.-Male animator.

All I can say is, ouch. The first guy seems okay, but the second seems to have
problems with any animation outside of Disney and the third one is really 'on
the borderline' so to speak.