Matt, defender of stuff that is pretty cool! (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:37:27 -0500

> It's interesting that people come down on fansubs here, but equally
> infringing activities such as distribution of MP3s made from OST CDs or
> wholesale scanning of copyrighted images, all of which are easily
> available for purchase and need no translation, aren't discouraged
> on the GML.

I was wondering about that myself. Also, a lot of places that sell VCD's,
and even on E-Bay, you see some places referring to them as "official, non
pirated" release versions, many with liner art and copyright info and all
that stuff. Are these also bootlegs, just of really nice quality? It seems
hard to believe that someone would go through so much trouble to make a
bootleg so nice.

Matt "Not Quite Better than Zen" Hanyok
http://deruberhanyok.freeservers.com/
> >All the VCD's that are available are bootlegs and wouldn't be legal
anywhere
> >outside of HK, hence they fall in the same "don't ask, don't tell" area
as
> >fansubs on the list.
>
> It's interesting that people come down on fansubs here, but equally
> infringing activities such as distribution of MP3s made from OST CDs or
> wholesale scanning of copyrighted images, all of which are easily
> available for purchase and need no translation, aren't discouraged
> on the GML.
>
> Eddie

rt=3