Loran Seakku (neogohan@nc.rr.com)
Mon, 12 Mar 01 16:58:48 -0500

>Back in First Gundam, the RX-78 and the GM's all carried those hexagonal red
>Feddie shields. Ignoring the very giggle-worthy image of the Gundam holding
>the shield in front of it and peering through the hole, it was pretty
>obvious what the shield did. Beam weapons weren't yet in widespread use, so
>it was able to absorb the impact of ballstic weapons and could be sacrificed
>to a swinging heat hawk which was able to slice through it.
>08th MS team has very, very small shields ... little bits of metal strapped
>to their forearms, really. This makes quite a bit of sense, though, since
>they're subject to gravity, and carrying around a few tons of (more or less)
>dead weight would certainly have a negative impact on performance..
>Onto 0080 and 0083, we see even larger shields being carried by the GM's and
>extendable shields by the GP-01. The GP-02's huge shield had an obvious
>function (protecting it from the nuclear blast). Shields are plenty large
>and seem to be useful in blocking stray shots, especially since beam weapons
>aren't commonplace yet.
>By Zeta Gundam things have changed. The Mk.2 carries a more modern version
>of the original Feddie shield that is able to extend to a larger height for
>use, and a smaller size when not needed. The Zeta's shield, however, is
>very, very small. Beam weapons are plentiful so the usefulness of a shield
>is questionable indeed. So, does the Zeta carry a shield for any reason
>other than it forms part of the Wave rider? I can't see it blocking too many
>shots ... about the only thing I can think of is it could be used as a
>sacrifice in hand to hand combat, intercepting a swinging melee weapon.
>Hopping forward to CCA, we find the Nu Gundam (And the Sazabi, for that
>matter ... not too many Zeon MS's have had shields, with the most obvious
>exception being the Gelgoog) again sporting a huge shield. In an age of fin
>funnels and beam weapons for the masses, did it really serve any great
>purpose?

I was thinking abou this all during school (I just get that bored) but
actually, you may realize that all the Shields in CCA era are loaded with
weapons. Possibly, they could block a shot, but more so, the Nu's has
missiles and a beam cannon, Sazabi's has missiles and can carry his
Tomahawk, Geara Doga's has sturm fausts and grenades, jagd Doga's: Mega
particle guns etc. I think by this time shields are just used to mount
weapons on, because you're right, they don't serve much of a purpose if
you're trying to block shots... Where else on Geara Doga could he store 4
fausts?

-"All your White Base are belong to us"