Newtype use Ultrahigh Efficiency Mobile Suit (nu_gundam@edsamail.com.ph)
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:29:24 +0800

I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth here, after reading the other messages in this thread:

gundam@aeug.org wrote:

>It's been a while since we all did a little technical nitpicking, so here's
>something that's been bugging me for a while.
>
>Back in First Gundam, the RX-78 and the GM's all carried those hexagonal red
>Feddie shields. Ignoring the very giggle-worthy image of the Gundam holding
>the shield in front of it and peering through the hole, it was pretty
>obvious what the shield did. Beam weapons weren't yet in widespread use, so
>it was able to absorb the impact of ballstic weapons and could be sacrificed
>to a swinging heat hawk which was able to slice through it.

IIRC, Amuro had the top half of his Gundam's shield chopped off by one of the Black Trinary's Rick Doms after they've killed Matilda - after all, the heat whatchamacallit (of all the times to forget its name!!! ugh...) can actually cut through a shield's armor.

>08th MS team has very, very small shields ... little bits of metal strapped
>to their forearms, really. This makes quite a bit of sense, though, since
>they're subject to gravity, and carrying around a few tons of (more or less)
>dead weight would certainly have a negative impact on performance..

but then, the shield was also used as a prop for the 180mm cannon, for better stability.

>Onto 0080 and 0083, we see even larger shields being carried by the GM's and
>extendable shields by the GP-01. The GP-02's huge shield had an obvious
>function (protecting it from the nuclear blast). Shields are plenty large
>and seem to be useful in blocking stray shots, especially since beam weapons
>aren't commonplace yet.

the GP-02A's shield is still absurd - placing almost all of your cooling systems into it, they should've put more into the suit itself. The GP-01's shield gets slagged by Cima's Gelgoog shots after Kou stubbornly brings out the GP-01 into a space battle. The GP-01Fb's shield gets boiled by the Val Varo's shot, and later, it also gets sliced in half by the GP-02A (not to mention assorted GP-01Fb parts ^_^)

not only are they used to block stray shots, they (in the case of Kou) were also used to block everything...

>By Zeta Gundam things have changed. The Mk.2 carries a more modern version
>of the original Feddie shield that is able to extend to a larger height for
>use, and a smaller size when not needed. The Zeta's shield, however, is
>very, very small. Beam weapons are plentiful so the usefulness of a shield
>is questionable indeed. So, does the Zeta carry a shield for any reason
>other than it forms part of the Wave rider? I can't see it blocking too many
>shots ... about the only thing I can think of is it could be used as a
>sacrifice in hand to hand combat, intercepting a swinging melee weapon.

yeah...and wouldn't a damaged shield (from combat) compromise the ability of the Zeta Gundam to perform re-entry?

>Hopping forward to CCA, we find the Nu Gundam (And the Sazabi, for that
>matter ... not too many Zeon MS's have had shields, with the most obvious
>exception being the Gelgoog) again sporting a huge shield. In an age of fin
>funnels and beam weapons for the masses, did it really serve any great
>purpose?

weapon mounts, but for me that idea is also stupid - why put your weapons into something that's used *specifically* to block shots?

anyway, the Sazabi's shield gets blown off by a remote Nu Hyper Bazooka shot, and before that, Amuro's already abandoned his shield after faking off Gyunei. The exposed cables on the Sazabi proves later on to its undoing...

IIRC, when Hathaway commandeered a Jegan, he was able to almost dismantle a Geara Doga's shield using the Jegan's vulcans...is that really possible?

>Zoom even further into the future to F91 era and we at least have beam
>shields, which make the most sense ... being able to block beam weaponry
>shields once again have a use.

beam shields are inarguably better than conventional shields, but would they block conventional projectile weapons such as bazookas?

>So ... early in UC, shields make sense (Except on land), and late in UC,
>beam shields also make sense ... but in the middle years, where beam
>weaponry became common and heavy armor a hindrance, why were they still
>used, other than for aesthetic reasons?

I'm also inclined to believe they're for aesthetic reasons...