L. M. Lloyd (ubik@austin.rr.com)
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 03:43:27 -0600

I think there might be some anti Japanese sentiment at the root of
it, but also remember that, for right or wrong, Americans tend to
feel that they own the animation market. I mean, Disney, Warner
Bros., MGM, Hanna Barbarra, Ralf Bakshi, and more recently Pixar, all
cause Americans to feel that they are the animation standard that
everyone has to measure up to.

As an animator myself, I can say emphatically that 90% of the
arguments for why Japanese animation is of poorer quality than
American animation, are nothing but a load of crap. People like to do
things like compare a Disney feature film, to a Sunrise TV series,
and that is in no way, shape, or form a valid comparison. If you
compare a show like Cowboy BeBop, or Betterman to a show like
Animaniacs or Batman, you quickly see that anime has a far higher
line count, better shading, more lighting effects, a broader range of
character design work as well as expression, and an average frame
count within 1 to 3 frames a second of American shows. Unfortunately
the comparisons done in the US are always something asinine like Lion
King vs. Pokemon!

Oh well, the joys of being an American. I just wish that the rest of
the world could understand how much tolerance you have to have to be
an American, but not one of the flag waving, follow-the-heard types.
Some of us really are intelligent, nice people.

The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.