Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 00:46:27 +0800

Funny though, I watched the first movie again because a local (Philippines)
University based anime club is considering it for a showing. They want to
borrow my VHS copy of it for viewing... :)

Anyway, I do have fears of showing it and finding out later people do not
really appreciate it. A friend experimented with Patlabor for a while that
turned out well in anime showings - but that consists mainly of character
studies. 4 eps. of 0083 was attempted to be shown by them - people found the
story good, but it wasn't enough to sustain interest and they shelved it for
the meanwhile. Now the Gundam movies. This is something that still has
roots to Giant Robot stuff from the 70s that the new generation don't want
to touch with a 10-foot stick. I'm dealing with people who haven't really
paid much attention to any mecha anime save for Gundam Wing and Eva.

I'm trying to find the right catch or train of thought to entice people
there to watch it. I say its a classic, yes. I say its one of those things
that you must watch, yes. But still no encouragement or the spark in their
eyes that'll get them off their seats to seek out a copy of it. Almost all
of them have never seen it, the club prez herself isn't really interested in
watching it - just presenting it for the show. :)

Quite funny for MSG to have a double standard while they're willing to try
out animated classics like Horus: Prince of the Sun or the older Ghibli
stuff. That's the problem I face here in introducing MS Gundam. Mecha shows
have been polarized somewhat in another category altogether save for GWing
and Eva.

Fed

> From: Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler

> In preperation for Mobile Suit Gundam this fall (or late summer, whatever
it
> ends up being) I decided to finally watch the 3 First Gundam movies.

 Kinda
> strange that I've seen at least a little of every series _except_ First
> Gundam, but whatever =P
> After watching part I (dubbed ... truly an experience no one should ever
> have to go through) and part II (Subbed, thankfully) I'm really not sure
> where the accusations of "bad" animation comes in. Technically speaking,
the
> animation is quite good, it seems to me it's the _style_ of the animation
> that people are questioning. That's just the way anime was drawn back
then,
> it's not "Bad" in any way. Yes, the character designs are fairly
oldschool,
> but they work and manage to convey a lot of emotion while doing it. Some
of
> the more 70's style mechanicals don't look so hot on paper (Gog, Acguy,
> etc), but (like the Turn A Gundam) look fine and fit in with the visual
> style when you see them in motion. There are going to be an awful lot of
> Zaku fans later this year, and I tell ya, seeing the Dom's move is too
cool.
> Obvoiusly the story is still classic and the fact that characters do die
is
> going to be an interesting adjustment for the new generation of Wing fans.
> You just meet Ranba Ral (Without a doubt, one of my favorite Zeon pilots
> right up with with Norris ... strangely enough, both pilot Gouf's :P) and
> start to respect him and ... poof. It's going to be a shock to people
> brought up on American TV. Ryu's sacrifice, no bashing intended, makes any
> of the characters in Wing's actions pale in comparison.
> Oh. And Kikka, Katsu, and Retsu are just too cute =)
>
> Finally seeing MSG has pretty much alleviated any fears I still had about
> its North American debut. Assuming it gets a solid dub job and Cartoon
> Network markets it properly it could very well be a smashing success, not
> just a springboard to the later series. The way I see it, the new fans
will
> watch it because it's Gundam. They may not like it right away, but within
> handful of episodes the story should grab them. From occasionally poking
my
> head into message boards and such predominantly populated by North
American