Matt, defender of stuff that is pretty cool! (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:33:09 -0500

> that much of a UC influence in the plotline (I can see Zechs/Char, a
> premise similar to Zeta, and CCA at the end). I like the plot and

you know, at one point I had this conversation with a friend of mine, whose
introduction to Gundam was with Wing on the Cartoon Network, and we tried to
come up with parallels between it and the original series. I remember there
being a few really obvious one (the Char/Zechs thing you pointed out), and I
could swear there were more subtle similarities as well. But, that was a
long time ago, and it was a conversation we were having at work while we
were bored one day.

The uh, point I'm trying to make is that so long as its decent anime, who
cares if it's taking ideas from somewhere else? I mean, we're talking about
Gundam series here, it could have been much worse. What if they had been
ripping off Macross 7? (Can you imagine say, Zechs, breaking out into song
in the middle of a battle?)

> Does it get better in the later episodes? Has knowing the spoilers ruined
> it for me? Or am I just a tasteless Winger like I'm worried I am?

Gundam 0080 is much better if you see the whole series. Since you know the
spoilers I suppose there's no harm in telling you this, but every time I
watch it, I keep thinking, "Maybe Al will stop bernie this time. Maybe."
It's one of those things that I know can't be helped, but it just seems so
unfair, which I think is the whole point of the series. War doesn't make
sense. They just present it in a really "screw with your mind" kind of way.
I don't know if I would agree with your club's president that it's the
"only" good series - the original one was really good, and 0083 was decent
as well - but to each his own I guess.

Matt "Not Quite Better than Zen" Hanyok
http://deruberhanyok.freeservers.com/