Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Fri, 09 Mar 2001 22:14:12 +0800

At 03:22 03/09/2001 -0800, garrick lee wrote:
>--- Andrew Dynon <ajdynon@students.latrobe.edu.au>
>> Okay... something that's been bothering me since I
>> made that rant a while ago.
>how can you make a judgement like that based on only
>bits and pieces of UC?

        <stompz Garrick>

        Much the same way UC fans can make a judgement on GW based only on
bits and pieves of GW. I'm as guilty as the next in this aspect.

        To be honest, I don't dislike GW as much as my posts may indicated.
I only have an issue with it being associated with UC Gundam by name. The
main difficulty in my case is, as Garrick says, the GI Joe mentaility of GW
vs the "scared sh!tless but still fighting" mentaility of UC Gundam... for
most parts.

        Now, having served in the military in my country, UC Gundam appeals
to me because the people in the military in the few UC series I've seen
react as people in my military does -- Kou and Keith's gawking at Gundam is
something all of us indulge in once in a while. In other words, I feel UC
Gundam is more realistic.

        That's not to say GW is bad -- just less realistic in my opinion. As
Edward once mentioned, opinions are like a$$holes: everyone's got at least
one. I have my opinion, I'm willing to state my opinion, and I can
definitely respect somebody else's opinion... so long said somebody doesn't
force his opinion on me.

        Which is why I get so antsy about the AC/UC debate. It's a fairly
useless attempt at trying to change the opinions of others, and it's bad
because it gets heated and people get emotional and insults each other. The
bandwidth thing is another bad point of such a debate.

>> (including non-Gundam fans - I remember the former
>> president of my anime club's statement that "0080
>> is the ONLY good Gundam series"),
>i sincerely question your president's tastes. :P

        Note to Garrick:

        Mentally append "that I've seen." to the end of the above statement.

        <GRIN>

        Back to the point. 0080 is not an easy anime to watch, especially if
you've been brought into a genre with loads of GW and 0083. You know the
type: "Bang Bang Interlude Bang Bang Interlude BIG BANG" kind of anime.

        On the first pass, you're not likely to pick up the good points of
0080; It really takes mulitple passes of the show to realise how good it is,
as well as a certain maturity and a certain mindset to fully appreciate it.

        Comparing 0080 to GW is like comparing an art film to an action
film; they might be in the same category (film), but the content and
delivery is vstly different.

>you can like wing as much as you want, and you're
>entitled to it, but to say that 0080 has nothing on g
>wing in the emotion and character story (if not action
>and juice and glamorous theatrics) department is a
>veritable crime. :)
>-garr

        Agreed. 0080, being a 6 episode OVA, had to date the best character
development in any OVA series I've seen. TV series tend to have it easier,
as they have more time for the characters to mature, but watching Alfred
mature practically overnight in 0080 is something that has to be seen to be
appreciated.