Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 00:24:01 -0800

>On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:50:33 -0800, gundam@aeug.org wrote:
>
>> Evidently they don't =)
>> I seem to remember someone mentioning that Bandai wasn't planning on
>> releasing the MG's and PG's since they would be too expensive and they
>> didn't think they'd sell.
>> Given the inflated model prices, I'd tend to agree. If you're charging
>28$
>> for a non-MG 1/100 kit, you'd have to charge at least 45$ for a base
>level
>> MG (i.e. a ZakuII or a GM), and for the bigger ones, the price would be
>> astronomical.
>> I really don't understand why they're pricing them so high... if they
>were
>> at comparable-to-yen prices, more kids would buy 'em, Gunpla fanatics
>would
>> buy them (bye bye HLJ!) and Bandai would make more money...
>> Wierd.
>
>they do have to ship the kits from Japan to North America, which is costly,
>plus they have to pay appropriate importation taxes. buying from HLJ is
>cheaper because even though the shipping may be more expensive (since
>distributors ship in bulk so shipping cost per piece is less) they have to
>pay tariffs and taxes for commercial quantity while end users like us don't.

You forgot that there are importers selling Gundam kits at yen or near yen
price level here in the U.S. while still making a nice profit. The
inflated price Bandai America charges most likely go to marketing, with
the rest being split between them and their partners.

Incidentally, I just found out that the U.S. version of Wing and EW kits,
while they may come with a "localized" box that's mostly in English, the
manual remains untranslated. You still get a copy of the Japanese original,
and a B&W, icon-based assembly guide like with the test market version.
Saw a kit with an open box at a local TRU, someone must have opened it in
order to steal the medal...

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0