Chris Maier (oom9@crosswinds.net)
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 23:38:50 -0500

Yeah, but remember that a lot of the stuff in the movies are reanimation. As
for style, I think the style is fine, it's just the way things are drawn
that look a little messed up-some of the drawings look rushed.
 Anyway, I think if a lot of people really cared about the *animation* in
anime, then they'd be watching Disney instead of anime.(I personally think
the animaton in anime is fine, but it has been criticized on many
occassions)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org [mailto:owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org]On
Behalf Of Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 12:31 AM
To: gundam@aeug.org
Subject: [gundam] MSG's animation and its North American debut

In preperation for Mobile Suit Gundam this fall (or late summer, whatever it
ends up being) I decided to finally watch the 3 First Gundam movies. Kinda
strange that I've seen at least a little of every series _except_ First
Gundam, but whatever =P
After watching part I (dubbed ... truly an experience no one should ever
have to go through) and part II (Subbed, thankfully) I'm really not sure
where the accusations of "bad" animation comes in. Technically speaking, the
animation is quite good, it seems to me it's the _style_ of the animation
that people are questioning. That's just the way anime was drawn back then,
it's not "Bad" in any way. Yes, the character designs are fairly oldschool,
but they work and manage to convey a lot of emotion while doing it. Some of
the more 70's style mechanicals don't look so hot on paper (Gog, Acguy,
etc), but (like the Turn A Gundam) look fine and fit in with the visual
style when you see them in motion. There are going to be an awful lot of
Zaku fans later this year, and I tell ya, seeing the Dom's move is too cool.
Obvoiusly the story is still classic and the fact that characters do die is
going to be an interesting adjustment for the new generation of Wing fans.
You just meet Ranba Ral (Without a doubt, one of my favorite Zeon pilots ...
right up with with Norris ... strangely enough, both pilot Gouf's :P) and
start to respect him and ... poof. It's going to be a shock to people
brought up on American TV. Ryu's sacrifice, no bashing intended, makes any
of the characters in Wing's actions pale in comparison.
Oh. And Kikka, Katsu, and Retsu are just too cute =)

Finally seeing MSG has pretty much alleviated any fears I still had about
its North American debut. Assuming it gets a solid dub job and Cartoon
Network markets it properly it could very well be a smashing success, not
just a springboard to the later series. The way I see it, the new fans will
watch it because it's Gundam. They may not like it right away, but within a
handful of episodes the story should grab them. From occasionally poking my
head into message boards and such predominantly populated by North American
Wing fans, the story is given as a primary reason for liking it, at least as
often as the bishounen characters and mechanics. This gives me hope =)

This has been your extended ramble from me for the day. You may now carry on
with your usual business ;p

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler
"Hail Eris ... All hail Discordia ... Hail, she what done it all!"