garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:09:42 -0800 (PST)

--- "Matt, defender of stuff that is pretty cool!"
<mhanyo1@umbc.edu> wrote:
> hey guys. I just finished watching 0080 (for lack of
> something better to do
> this afternoon), and went on a slight panic attack
> when I saw a few MG kits
> listed as "spot" production at HLJ. After ordering
> an Alex, Rick Dom, and a
> Kaempfer, I went through and looked at the 0080
> kits. Before I get to my
> question, I was wondering, does anyone know where a
> guy can get an MG GM
> Custom, not the Quel? I want to do a custom paint
> job on one and it's be
> easier for me if the kit came with lighter-colored
> plastic.

hmmm...we seem to have a few gm custom's lying around
here in local stores. heck, i have 2 unbuilt gm
customs (good as new), and i could trade one to you
for the mg gelgoog. :) i personally prefer the gm
quel (the custom shoulders are nice, but don't look
flush with the design).

email me in priv, would you? :)

> Now, anyways. While watching the series I was
> noticing that the Doms, Zakus,
> Gogs, GMs, and all of the suits that were in the
> series all seemed a bit
> more, idunno, "robust" than they do in other series.
> At first I assumed they
> were just newer versions of the suits, after all the
> GM's clearly had
> different armor than the originals, and the shield
> was different. That
> gelgoog, for example, looked like the precursor to
> the marines, it was a
> gelgoog jaeger, right? But the doms and the zakus
> didn't seem to be any
> different. Although, I did notice the pegasus-clas
> ship in there during the
> kaempfer scene. Was nice to see that re-drawn.
>
> Which got me thinking, was just the difference in
> animation between '79 and
> '89 that made the suits look "different?" Now, bear
> with me guys, I've seen
> very little of 08th MS team ;-) but, do some of the
> "classic" suits appear
> in the series, or is it mostly newer designs? If
> there are any of the
> classic suits, do they look much different, or is it
> just more detail /
> better animation quality?

hmm...no, not just the animation. hop on over to
burke's mecha domain. 0080 had new designs by yutaka
izubuchi (iirc) and the gang -- zaku f/z, rick dom II,
gelgoog jaeger, as well as the gm's. the zeon mechs
all take off from the 0079 designs, with slight
alterations to the proportions for keeping up with
more modern aesthetics, and more technical doo-dads
for added realism.

to me, the only mech to look good and cool straight
out of 0079, without freshening up and technicalizing,
is the dom.

-garr