Franz G Co (darkholy@saintly.com)
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 08:59:58 -0500 (EST)

------Original Message------
From: "Canal Vorfied" <vorfied@capital.net>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: March 2, 2001 2:37:17 AM GMT
Subject: Re: Re: [gundam] transatmospheric mobile suits?
----- Original Message -----
From: RX-93 Nu Gundam (Newtype use Ultrahigh Efficiency Mobile Suit)
<nu_gundam@edsamail.com.ph>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 7:58 PM

> gundam@aeug.org wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I have a question about the RX-78 performing re-entry in the >>MSG
trilogy:
>>If Amuro didn't vent coolant (or something with a similar >>effect) onto
the
>>back of his shield, would the RX-78 have been slagged like the >>Zaku IIs?
>>Also, wouldn't the extreme heat on the front of the shield >>during
re-entry
>>and the extreme cold on the rear of the shield (courtesy of >>the Gundam
>>venting coolant onto it) have cracked and possibly destroyed >>the shield,
or
>>is the Gundanium alloy just tougher, or is it another case of >>anime
physics?

>I think it would have melted into slag... all MS, seem to >require the use
>of a ballute during reentry
>no matter what kind of armour it has (IE: Z Gundam series mecha >with
>Gundarium Gamma alloy).
>And I think the shield question can be summed up as anime >physics. Also I
>think the reason for
>spraying the coolant on the back of shield was to divert it >back to the MS
>itself, not just to cool
>down the shield (which should leave it at a nice lukewarm temp >to keep it
>from cracking).

Actually, the coolant seems to form a bubble of cool air (or whatever)
around the MS. As for cracking, the only way for that to happen is if water
gets into recesses in the shield, the quick colling would freeze the water
and since water expands when frozen (thanks to ice's crystaline structure)
this would cause cracks in the shield.

<snip>

> >Eddie
>
> how about those Core Booster systems like on the S-Gundam's core fighter?
would they work?

> -james r.
> believes the YF-19 (notwithstanding the YF-21) can beat any Core Fighter
in a race...

Yasu Ikehara aka Nuku-Nuku
LNF Translations
http://translations.animangarpg.org