Franz G Co (darkholy@saintly.com)
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 08:36:58 -0500 (EST)

There's still the 1st release PS2 which can play any region of DVD without
needing to be modded. Sure Sony asked poeple to get a new set of drivers but
really, if you could use your PS@ to play DVDs from any region, would you
limit it with new drivers? Plus there are a lot of multi-region DVD players
out there,

------Original Message------
From: Edward Ju <gundam@loop.com>
To: gundam@aeug.org
Sent: March 1, 2001 9:23:15 PM GMT
Subject: Re: [gundam] CNs Gundam Lineup

>> Remember the PS2 fiasco about a year ago, some DVD systems do not have
>> territorial lockout, in fact you can find multi region DVD players in the
>> black-market.
>
>I actually know of attempts here in the Philippines to disable or bypass
the
>territorial stuff. and I have a VCD player which can bypass any
territorial
>VCD feature...

It doesn't matter, studios now are adding double lockout features on their
new DVD titles. The disc will now actively seek out information about
your player by checking whether your player has been modified. If so, then
the disc would not play and all you get is a blank screen with a message
saying that your player has been modified, please call this toll-free number
(so they could bust you). The Perfect Storm was the first DVD to have that
feature, who knows how long before it becomes standard fare. The only way
to defeat this scheme is to actually hack into the disc and remove this
check, and manufacture new unprotected discs for every such title published.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0
Please note the URL exceeds 80 characters and ends with "rows=0" not
"sort=3"

Shop through Barnes and Nobles
help me earn cash too.