Matt, defender of stuff that is pretty cool! (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 16:30:15 -0500

> You'd think territorial lockout, which they touted as a beneficial feature
> of DVD for film rights holders, would address their fear of reverse
> importing.

You'd think that, but I for one could prattle off a list of computer DVD
drives that simply ignore the region codes. I'm not so sure about regular
DVD players, though. Idunno, the territorial lockout thing has never been a
problem in the past. That's like the movie industry complaining the VHS
tapes would be the end of movies. Which it quite obviously wasn't.

And, even if that isn't the point, I know a couple of guys in the US that
have either a Japanese PS2 or a Japanese DVD player, that they either bought
there legitimately or got through a friend in Japan. So I'd think the same
kind of thing happens there, with people picking up American players or
something.

Matt "Not Quite Better than Zen" Hanyok
http://deruberhanyok.freeservers.com/