Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:33:03 -0800

Edward Ju wrote:

> >Bandai claims that only MSG will be dub-only, and says that 08th,
> >0080, and 0083 will all be bilingual.
>
> Considering that their original press release only mentioned visual
> improvements done for the U.S. release, claiming technicaly impossibility
> in releasing bilingual DVD for MSG seem to imply they were doing more than
> mere visual tweaking - there must be changes in editing, such as scene
> additions/deletions... MSG Special Edition anyone? I can just picture it
> now... in the new version, Char does not frame Garma but makes an honest
> mistake sending him into the trap... fans cry foul... while new fans have
> no clue what the big fuss is all about.

It has nothing to do with technical issues. Pure and simple, Sunrise, the Bandai
subsidiary that holds the rights, won't give Bandai America (I think that's the one
that does American video releases) the rights to release the Japanese audio track.
Apparently the Bandai parent company is siding with Sunrise in this particular
dispute. Rumor has it that there's an internal policy that the Japanese audio to
any show won't be released internationally until its been avaible in Japan for at
least six months. Since MS Gundam isn't currently available in Japan, there won't
be a subbed American release until possibly later on.

junior