Richard Ramos - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Gundam (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 06:22:00 +0800

> I've noticed there's a war boiling in the letters to the editor at
> FINE SCALE MODELER. Some people want the magazine to start running
> articles on giant robot model kits, (Gundam, anyone?) while others
> are steadfastly against it. The naysayers say Giant robots will taint
> the integrity of the magazine, and that Scale modeling is about
> replicating objects that are (or have been) real in miniature form.
> Maybe these people have forgotten that this same magazine has run
> many articles on Star Trek, and Star Wars models previously. Admitted
> it would be a big jump from super detailing F-18E landing gear bays
> to Wing Gundam but hey, someone should take these new modellers under
> their wing. The vote is said to be running 50/50.
>
> This just goes to show how territorial and resistant to change human
> beings are. Even outside the Wing vs. U.C. debate ^_^
>
> -James

I remember someone saying that freedom of speech was needed for us to figure
out who was on what side. I guess this underlines it. But for what it's
worth, I've seen what FSM is, and I can say that it's a weird thing, since
for them, it is literally about scale models, in the sense that there is a
real life object to be scaled down to a model kit size. It's a point of
view, I suppose. I can't say I like it, but I'll respect it. As long as
they don't start throwing insults on stuff like Hobby Japan for featuring
such "fictional kits".