Franz G Co (darkholy@saintly.com)
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:41:33 -0500 (EST)

------Original Message------
From: garrick lee <goner4sure@yahoo.com>
To: gundam@aeug.org
Sent: February 23, 2001 1:28:19 AM GMT
Subject: Re: [gundam] Rockets Blow, But Jets Suck AND Blow (Was: gelgoog
model kits...)

>hmmm...i understand the propellant, but how can the
>gas not be used up? don't you burn gas to power the
>engine to run? or am i stuck in thinking about car
>engines?

Because it's nuclear powered, you know how long it takes for those things to
run out of fuel.

>what do you use as "propellant" for space mecha? you
>use air to propel you in atmospheric flight, and water
>for for undersea motion. what about in space? you'd
>use rocket thrust, no? if it's rocket thrust, then
>won't you be using fuel? thus the extra fuel tanks?

Anything that could be expanded fast enough using th ehaaat from the
reactor, probably Hydrogen or something close.

>at least...i think they're fuel tanks (what else would
>you store in those tanks, if you're using air and
>water?) given that those big thingamajiggers are
>always attached on 'long-range' mecha or 'custom'
>officer's mecha like rick dom 2, gelgoog marine,
>gelgoog jaeger, cima's gelgoog, gerbera tetra, dra-c,
>aaaand....practically anything else katoki gets his
>hands on :P.

>> It seems to me that the Gundam, with its
>> transatmospheric flight capable Core
>> Fighter, should be able to take in air and water as
>> propellant in addition to
>> operating only internal reserves. That would put a
>> flight time limit only on
>> space operations, with the same freedom as the Dom
>> when it comes to Terrestrial
>> on (for want of a better word) Colonial operations.
>>
>> In fact, I'd expect all "ground unit" and "Colony
>> type" MS to have hybrid
>> engines. As I recall, they all seem to sport chest
>> vents that could serve as
>> intakes for same.

>but the gp01 didn't have chest vents in the breast
>area. in fact, the core fighter's retro-boosters are
>located there. "breast thrusters"...sounds a tad
>worse than "butt thrusters" (this is richie ramos'
>brand of innuendo all over, i assure you)

That's only the Full Vernian. The ground based GP01 had the chest vents.

>i think the ez8 didn't have chest vents either, and
>the rx-79g had only one (yuck!).

They're supposedly covered by the chest armor. The reason why the EZ-8 lost
the multi-launcher was because another cooling vent had been installed.

>i've been staring at the gyan and gelgoog lately...so
>i noticed they both have chest vents. the gelgoog has
>them all over the chest and shoulder areas. the gyan
>is a close-combat suit (space or land?) while the
>gelgoog is all terrain, right? the dom, being a
>land unit (i think) doesn't have any.

I think the feds started the chest vent trend and the Zion only picked them
up later in the war. The Gouf Flight type and the Dom TROPen had then in
their legs though.

>-garr

Shop through Barnes and Nobles
help me earn cash too.