garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:28:19 -0800 (PST)

--- -Z- <z@gundam.com> wrote:

> > And the nice fuel tanks.
>
> Not to pick nits or anything, but the proper term is
> "propellant" -- the stuff
> that gets expended to move the MS around. "Fuel" is
> what keeps the Minovsky
> reactor that drives the apogee motors going and
> isn't expended during the course
> of a single sortie; it may, in fact, be good for
> years of operation.
>
> If the MS is something like the MS-09 Dom and uses
> air or water for propellant,
> you won't likely run out of either fuel or
> propellant. You may burn out the
> engine, but you won't run out of "gas" during the
> campaign.

hmmm...i understand the propellant, but how can the
gas not be used up? don't you burn gas to power the
engine to run? or am i stuck in thinking about car
engines?

what do you use as "propellant" for space mecha? you
use air to propel you in atmospheric flight, and water
for for undersea motion. what about in space? you'd
use rocket thrust, no? if it's rocket thrust, then
won't you be using fuel? thus the extra fuel tanks?
at least...i think they're fuel tanks (what else would
you store in those tanks, if you're using air and
water?) given that those big thingamajiggers are
always attached on 'long-range' mecha or 'custom'
officer's mecha like rick dom 2, gelgoog marine,
gelgoog jaeger, cima's gelgoog, gerbera tetra, dra-c,
aaaand....practically anything else katoki gets his
hands on :P.

> It seems to me that the Gundam, with its
> transatmospheric flight capable Core
> Fighter, should be able to take in air and water as
> propellant in addition to
> operating only internal reserves. That would put a
> flight time limit only on
> space operations, with the same freedom as the Dom
> when it comes to Terrestrial
> on (for want of a better word) Colonial operations.
>
> In fact, I'd expect all "ground unit" and "Colony
> type" MS to have hybrid
> engines. As I recall, they all seem to sport chest
> vents that could serve as
> intakes for same.

but the gp01 didn't have chest vents in the breast
area. in fact, the core fighter's retro-boosters are
located there. "breast thrusters"...sounds a tad
worse than "butt thrusters" (this is richie ramos'
brand of innuendo all over, i assure you)

i think the ez8 didn't have chest vents either, and
the rx-79g had only one (yuck!).

i've been staring at the gyan and gelgoog lately...so
i noticed they both have chest vents. the gelgoog has
them all over the chest and shoulder areas. the gyan
is a close-combat suit (space or land?) while the
gelgoog is all terrain, right? the dom, being a
land unit (i think) doesn't have any.

-garr