Matt, defender of stuff that is pretty cool! (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:29:51 -0500

> Why because some fans are fans of the TV series (that
> watched the series on Cartoon Network think they know
> so much.) and Fan Sub that watched the series before
> them that know and seen the other Gundam series too
> have the Idea what Gundam is when the kids that
> watched the series on CN they get an Idea what Gundam
> is they get Confused if we show them UC Gundam series
> is they might think its other verion of Gundam Wing

Yes, that's it entirely. I don't know how many I speak for here, but I don't
have a problem with Wing (or X for that matter, I bloody well liked it), but
a lot of [american] people just assume that everything else that is gundam
is just a ripoff of Wing. When the gundam game for dreamcast came out, I was
working at a Babbage's. And people kept coming in, asking for that "Gundam
Wing" game. And we had numerous returns, from people saying it didn't have
anything to do with Gundam Wing.

Well, DUH. That's why it isn't called Gundam Wing!

Some of our stores carry (well, carried, idunno if they still do) Gundam
model kits as well, mostly from X and Wing, but occasionally I saw UC-era
kits pop up here and there. And people would always ask, "Gee, I don't
remember this gundam being in the show. Is it from the movie?" NO, it's not
Gundam Wing. It's Gundam. "What's the difference?"

Seems to me that most people don't even CARE that there are other series.
and I'm sure that when 8th MS and the original series air on cartoon
network, some will get it, and others will go, "Amuro wasn't as cool as
Heero, and that stupid-looking gundam would lose in a fight to Super Wing
Zero Custom 2 EX Plus Alpha Turbo any day!" and "What's up with this stupid
'newtype' stuff? That's so gay," or "how come everything looks so plain?
nobody has any cool spikes or looks cool like Epyon did!" not to mention
"Char is just trying to be like Zechs" like javier pointed out.

Pardon my stereotyping of these people, but like I said, it's been my
experience with lots of folks. My gripe with them is that they simply ASSUME
that wing was first, and the rest of their gundam experiences all come from
that. Most of them don't care to figure out "alternate timelines" to them or
anything. I don't mind if they're not interested, but if they go around
making assumptions that are clearly wrong (as many do) then somebody's got
to tell them otherwise.

I know, I probably sound like a jerk, I just can't stand it when some guy
asks me if I like "gundam", and when I respond with a "yes, particularly the
stuff around the one year war and Zeta" he asks me what I'm talking about.
Grrr.

Matt "Not Quite Better than Zen" Hanyok
http://deruberhanyok.freeservers.com/