-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:43:15 -0800

The March 2, 2001 Comics Buyer's Guide (#1424) reviewed the Gundam Wing: Ground
Zero Trade Paperback (TPB) in its Comics In Your Future section, where a panel
of six comic book retailers reviews upcoming titles submitted by publishers as
those most worthy of the attention of readers and collectors. Titles are grade
A+ to F according to how successful the reviewer found it as a work of art or
entertainment.

This week's review is for titles scheduled for release in April. The panelists
are S.A. Bennett of Dark Star Books & Comics, Yellow Springs OH; Cliff Biggers
of Dr. No's Comics, Marietta GA; Diane Inwood of Fan-Quest, Yuma AZ; Phil Mateer
of All About Books & Comics, Phoenix AZ; Robert Scott of Comickaze, San Diego CA
and Jeremy Shorr of Titan Comics, Dallas TX.

Gundam Wing: Ground Zero TPB
Viz, 144 pages, b/w, $14.95
Reku Fuyunagi's story of the theft of Heero Yuy's Wing Zero is collected. Heero
receives a cryptic message telling him the Gundam is on a remote space station
where he finds his fellow Gundam pilots.

SCOTT: Say the word "Gundam" out loud and more than a few heads will turn --
and not just the kids! I confess that I don't know a Mobile Suit Gundam from a
Gundam Wing or Endless Waltz, but this story is well paced and fun reading
combining action, mystery, and adventure. Check it out and, if you like it, you
may also want to check out Lea Hernandez's Rumble Girls from Image as well.
Grade: B.

BENNETT: This is an anime series I never warmed up to, maybe because the main
characters (who I refer to as N'Sync in outer space) are a bunch of 15-year-old
terrorists who rack up substantial body counts while going on and on about the
inherent violent nature of man. Your taste may vary. Grade: C.

BIGGERS: The appeal of Gundam Wing is lost on me. I actually suspect this will
work much better in a smaller size; enlarged to comics format, the art seems too
big, the panels too open, the story too minimal. This is standard Gundam Wing
fare, I'm sure, but it's not a comic book I'd ever read for fun. Grade: C.

MATEER: Fans of this series, who are already familiar with all the characters
and their histories and various interactions, will like this, but no one else
need apply -- it's an epilog to the main story and depends on the reader's
knowing all that other stuff to make any sense of it. (Imagine reading just the
last chapter of Lord Of The Rings -- the one where the whole thing's over, and a
major character returns to the Shire -- without having read anything that led up
to it. Who would care?) It doesn't help that, in a series named after giant
robots and picturing a giant robot on the cover, there aren't any actual
frikkin' giant robots! Grade (for the average reader): C.

SHORR: OK, so I'm not a true manga fan. Nonetheless, this four-issue story is
tough to follow (how can you tell these people apart?) and it's really hard to
tell what is supposed to be happening in each individual panel, much less
following from one to another. I'd take a pass on this one. Grade: C.

INWOOD: Typical Japanese style of writing and art. This storyline doesn't
feature the big robots that this story is so famous for; it deals with personal
business of the characters. Grade: B.

Panel's Overall Grade: C+ (So-So).

-Z-