Franz G Co (darkholy@saintly.com)
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:28:50 -0500 (EST)

------Original Message------
From: garrick lee <goner4sure@yahoo.com>
To: gundam@aeug.org
Sent: February 20, 2001 4:03:19 AM GMT
Subject: Re: [gundam] Tomino and his masked men

>*smacks zhou tai an on the head*

See what I mean?! Garrick's gone violent!

*raises beam umbrella*

>you never came across danguard ace?

>the show with characters taken straight out of yamato
>and the 500 feet tall, 5000 ton bot that transforms
>into a flyer which should fly like a brick but
>doesn't? (er ok, that's a lousy ad for danguard, but
>hey, i don't get paid for it, hehe)

>danguard ace, 56 ep (i think), produced by toei, and
>was adopted as part of the "force five" anime package
>(jim terry something, off the top of my head) that
>also featured starvengers (getta robo g), gaiking,
>grandizer, and spacekeeters (starzingers, another
>matsumoto work...which i actually severely
>dislike...). it ran from mondays to fridays, one show
>a day.

>a few links taken directly from anipike:

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/8384/Danguard.html
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Temple/2975/dace.html
http://www.concentric.net/~marsala9/dang.html
http://members.aol.com/Dread2200/default.htm

the danguard ending song is one of my longtime
favorites, incidentally. :P

-wakusei robo dangarr

--- Zhou Tai An <kain@pacific.net.sg> wrote:

> >hrm...the difference between captain mask (danguard
> >ace) and the tomino masked men of gundam was that
> the
> >masked men of gundam wanted to actively conceal
> their
> >identities, while captain mask's, er, mask was an
> >unwanted tool to control his identity (amnesia, if
> >recall) at the start (which eventually did lead to
> >active concealment of identity, which made up the
> crux
> >of the father-son angst...which makes danguard ace
> one
> >of the more outstanding and most definitely
> underrated
> >super robot series in existence -- forget voltes v,
> >danguard has voltes v outgunned in lots of ways :P)
>
> What's Danguard Ace? I've watched several Super
> Robot shows, but this is the
> first I've heard of it.
>
> >although i do believe that maybe gundam has
> exhausted
> >the cliche of masked men. just how feasible is a
> >masked man in the military forces anyway? then
> >again, i suppose i prefer the masks to the horrid
> >fashion statements of ZZ gundam though. ah, the
> 80's.
>
> They're not feasible, but they serve an important
> thematic purpose. What
> does a mask do? Besides making you look cool (^_^) a
> mask disguises your
> true identity. On another level, though, it makes
> you a different person.
> Quatro Bagina and Char Aznable are different people,
> as are Zechs Merquise
> and Milliardo Peacecraft. Sure, they might share
> some similarities, but in
> some fundamental ways, they are different. That's
> why tribal culture places
> so much emphasis on masks - with a mask, you adopt a
> different persona
> entirely.
>

> Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)
>
> "There is no one simple truth." - Rune Walsh

http://gundam.aeug.org/

Shop through Barnes and Nobles
help me earn cash too.