Char Aznable (charaznable@excite.com)
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:29:43 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:06:30 -0800, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> Communism is too idealistic (IMHO). It's goals of empowering the people
are good but putting into practice is near impossible. Also, it stunts the
economy. People with potential to be exceptional only get the same as
everybody else, thus there is no motivation for self improvement and
hard(er) work, and this taxes the society heavily. Look at China, today
their promoting all sorts of free trade policies which are basically
democratic in nature. It just shows that Communism can't find compromise
with rapid development.

true, it's too idealistic, that's why poor people buy it. that is why the
masses in the Philippines watch these ridiculous, cheap films we make, its
because most of these films make the poor heroes and the rich the
oppressors. it puts them into this "idealistic" world for a moment that
they are the heroes.

as for China, it's not surviving because the US is running the economy of
the world. guess what form of governement the US has.

> OK, this is turning into a political forum, so let's relate this to
Gundam. As I see it, the Earth Federation has become some kind of bloated
bureaucracy, not unlike most political systems today. Like in Mao's or
Lenin's time, there has been a sect of society feeling the burden of
hardship while others just loaf around. This was probably how the Zabi's
convinced the Zeon public into war. Also, there was already a precedent to
the Zabi's claim. Before their uprising, there was Zeon Daikun and his
Contulism. Like with Lenin, there was already the Communist Manifesto by
Marx. (Nothing like good old fashioned idealism to rouse up a pissed
crowd).This is actually very illustrative of what many countries are
experiencing these days.

not only these days, this is what brought the Americans to declare
independence from England and the Filipinos from the Spaniards, goes the
same for a lot of the colonies.

> This is also why it's so hard to distinguish the good and bad in Gundam.
On one side you have a traditionally political monstrosity, on the other
side you have a bunch of exploiters (Zabi) taking advantage of the peoples
discontent. Caught in the middle of course are the unwitting citizens, much
like in real life.