Char Aznable (charaznable@excite.com)
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:03:57 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:47:37 -0800, gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> Two actually. One is a Muslim insurgency (consider the Phillipines is
> the only predominantly Christian state in SE Asia- insular states tend
> be Islamic oriented and Indochina tend to be Buddhist/Confucian) on
> the island
> of Mindanao. The Moros there have been giving it all since the days
> Spain opted
> to make the archipeligo a part of its empire and one of the last piece
> of
> property subjugated/pacified by the United States during the
> Phillipines
> Insurrection in the early days of the 1900s.
> The other the Communist new People's Army has been waxing and waning
> since Marcos left power and its modus operandi seems to be more in
> favor of
> kidnapping ethnic Chinese and holding them up for ransom to fund their
> ongoing
> war against Manila although one of their hit teams did manage to
> assassinate
> Colonel Nick Rowe (who was working as a defense attache at the time).

though unproven, a lot of the kidnappings nowadays also involved corrupt
police and military officials

the Philippines is predominantly Catholic because of Spain, like most of
Latin America. otherwise most of South East Asia is Muslim

> So instead of adopting economic policies which ensure industrial
> growth, consumer
> spending, people putting their money in stable financial institutions
> they give people car
> bombings, kidnappings, and extortion.
> Sounds like a good deal to me... if I was totally braindead. IMNSHO
> idiots who quote
> the red book or Das Kapital should receive only buckshot and rifle
> rounds shot in their
> direction.

Communism looks good on paper thats why a lot of people buy it, especially
the poor. also, so far democracy doesn't work for these people since
Capitalism (which is a partner of Democracy) makes the rich richer and the
poor poorer. so if democracy doesn't work, try another thing. these poor
people just don't realize what happened to other countries that is run by
communism. I think communism can do good if the power isn't centralized in
one person. I mean, who wouldn't go crazy with all that power? we've seen
people with less power get corrupted (like ex-President Estrada of the
Philippines)