Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:30:55 -0800

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:22:16
 -Z- wrote:
>In the beginning, perhaps, but as time went on all of the mother nations on
>Earth were depopulated to a bare minimum "caretaker" contingent -- everyone else
>was moved off the planet. The mother nations exist only in name and the minimal
>infrastructure necessary to maintain some semblance of the original culture,
>usually regressed to an early or even pre-industrial state.

I think this was the idea in the first place. The idea of a single "Earth Federation" is to me the abolition of "NAtions" as sovereign units of government. Though maybe in its infancy each nation could've preserved their culture and supported a single group of colonists. In reality though, it will probably take some devastating war for even the idea of a single Earth Government to even be considered.

>The whole idea behind the colonization of space was to remove the people and let
>Nature take its course to heal the planet. Thus, nothing but surplus resources
>may be removed from Earth and then only those that can be collected without
>depleting the ecosystem further -- no large-scale mining or logging operations.
>The Zeon must've looked like the descendents of Genghis Khan, what with the way
>they came in and started ripping whatever they wanted out of the ground.

I think this too was the guiding principle of Contulism. Char ranted about this a lot. In a purely economic sense (given that technology has already advanced enough to actually facilitate more than just space travel) this actually makes sense. A basic economic principle states that the Earth can only give so much, and can only recover so much even if man restricts his use of them. Human population grows exponentially while resources grow geometrically, and it is in the apocalyptic notion of most classical economists that the day will come when the balance will be offset. As it seems, the balance is still far from being destroyed (believe it or not there is more than twice the food supply in this planet today to feed everybody), but the thesis stands.

---
Abet
"Dete Unakereba, Yararenakatta no ni!"
Come on over to the ALTERNATIVE SIDE at