Jim Huang (tyhuang@OCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:21:52 -0800

On 19 Feb 2001, at 13:22, -Z- wrotf:

> > On 18 Feb 2001, at 22:08, -Z- wrotf:
> >
> > > As has been noted in previous posts, the Federation is not a
> > > democracy, although it has a democratic assembly of sorts. It's
> > > more of an oligarchy. In the entire Gundam saga, there has never
> > > been a single instance of an election or re-election campaign --
> > > the Powers That Be simply are. While votes are taken by members
> > > of the assembly, there is no hint of any constituency beyond their
> > > immediate backers and stakeholders, which don't appear to include
> > > the people at large.

> > Nadia Rohna's elder brother did run to represent the whole side 2
> > and won. Of course, he won because it's his "family business." And
> > even for elite like him, radical idea can result in death.

> If we're talking about Engeist Ronah, my information was that he
> became vice-president of the Colony Management Corporation in April
> 0110 -- nothing about campaigning or being elected to public office.

ISBN4-04-410134-5 page 29
He was elected to Fed Assem. Raised to minister level position.
Seems to be given a CMC gig as some sort of retirement
arrangement. And guess who took his place?

> If we're talking about Hauserie Ronah, my information is that his
> proposed "Earth Preservation Measure" and "Measure to Abolish
> Excessive Medical Care" -- essentially, kick everyone off the planet

And use orbital laser to enforce them from orbit.

> who doesn't absolutely have to live there and deny medical treatment
> to those who don't contribute more than it costs to keep them alive --

I don't think there were any cost consideration in that bill, just
banning excess life-extension treatments in general, and seniors in
particular. Also incentives for people who elect to undergo
euthanasia.

> were rejected in April 0113 and he was subsequently assassinated in UC
> 0118. Again, nothing about how he got on the Federation Assembly,
> only that he proposed legislation for it.

He was elected in ibid, page 48. Basiclly, he was elected because
his family, the connection, the money, and his marriage to a
supermarket chain heiress. Of course, he is also much more
reliable, smart, and deligent compare to his sister. He was
assassinated in his second term, after he reintroduced "Earth
Preservation Measure."

> If you've got more details from the novelizations, particularly names
> and dates, let's hear them and I'll update my timeline.

No mention of years. And I think you already got the names.

Jim Huang