-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:22:31 -0800

> Just out of curiosity:
>
> Has Tomino ever mentioned as to why he includes masked individuals in series
> he directs? (Char from MSG, Born Bonnings from Aura Battler Dunbine and the
> Baron from Brain Powerd)
>
> Thanks in advance, ;)

Insofar as I know, the question's never come up before.

My guess would be that Tomino included masked villains for the same reason that
he included giant robots -- it was part of the genre. I think Osamu Tezuka
introduced masked villains in Tetsuwan Atom (AKA Astro Boy) and they've been
pretty standard ever since. I don't think there are any masked villains in any
of his original stories.

Does Basque Ohm's goggles count as a mask?

-Z-