Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:53:24 +0800

Correction: The HukBaLaHap (Hukbong Laban sa Hapon) didn't start out being
Communists. They were demanding reparations payments from and for Americans
to stop rebuilding Japan at the time. They later became indoctrinated into
Communism (late 50s/early 60s) not only as a suitable ideology to adopt due
its anti-American sentiment and impoverisihed background - but also to gain
cold war funding from the Chinese and Russians to finance their armed
struggle. They shifted to this as a the main focus and changed their name to
the New People's Army in the 70s.

As for Americans controlling the market - I hardly think so. We have enough
control of it as it is - owing to the fact that we have outdated economic
policies that seem to hinder our progress forever. The reason why the
economy was stagnant during Erap's rule was the tight control put on
economic policy which inhibited any business ventures from growing here and
favored monopoly by a few corrupt businessmen. In such an environment - why
would Americans make deals with us in the first place?

We already have had 40 years worth of blocking free trade to help local
industries grow. In that span of time, the Japanese made Sony, cornered
Video Games and is now the 2nd most prosperous nation in the world - we
hardly even made a mark anywhere in creating companies save for food and
beverage companies like San Miguel Corp. and Jollibee. All the while we
are still trying to justify an inefficient agricultural industry that can't
compete with Thailand and Indonesia. I think we should think long and hard
about our priorities on free trade - and that non-ownership of the actual
companies themselves ain't so bad comapared to possible benefits of
employment and wealth for all.

^_^

Fed