Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:35:15 +0800

At 22:08 02/18/2001 -0800, -Z- wrote:
>Ah, the age-old question! My own favorites answer comes from Marilyn Vos
>Savant, who opined that the American ideal was a balance between "freedom to"
>and "freedom from" -- you are free to do as you please until what you're doing
>infringes on someone else's right to be free from the consequences.

        Ah well.. there's always somebody who will take offense at what you
do or say. The best one can hope for is to offend the least number of people. =)

        This opinion is interesting, because it also has bits of Asian
values involved. The emphasis on not affecting others via your actions is
something that can be found in Asian societies -- but that's IMO, I didn't
do serious research on that yet. =)