-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:48:09 -0800

> >Not, apparently, the person who asks if an Ivy League is "a school made out
of
> >elephant tusks" -- as did the original poster.
>
> Seeing that we are unfamiliar with the concept of sarcasm let me explain
> said situation... I'm not sure what I orginally posted, but my thinking was
> along these lines:
>
> "People say George is stupid....hmmmm he went to Yale (or Harvord, it's like
> the same thing in my mind. BTW I don't care what the difference is.) which
> is an IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL....ivy...ivy that sounds like IVORY. HOT DAMN!!!!!
> Let's see how could I express in a humerous manner the label that is placed
> on Bush..."

Well, you certainly *are* unfamiliar with the concept of sarcasm.

Sarcasm is a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut; a
mode of satirical wit depending for its affect on bitter, caustic and usually
ironic language that is usually directed against an individual or institution.
It operates on the principal of saying just the opposite of what you really
mean.

Example:
B.C. - "I'd like to introduce Harmon, the master of sarcastic wit. Say
something sarcastic, Harmon."
Harmon - "I'm very pleased to meet you all."

You may have committed irony, however, provided you accept the Socratic Way -- a
pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order
to make the other's false conception evident by adroit questioning -- as being
the essence of irony. You certainly made a pretense of ignorance, but I have
yet to see the adroit questioning of the false premise.

So, while you may have been humorous, you were not sarcastic. You attempt to
satirize the popular perception of ignorance on the part of the President has
thus only resulted in a display of ignorance of your own.

How ironic.

-Z-