Federico Makabenta (yenm@iconn.com.ph)
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:02:35 +0800

It's General Artemio Ricarte.

The Philippines' first Armed Forces Chief of Staff. During Emilio
Aguinaldo's Revolutionary Government. Subsequently exiled along with
Aguinaldo to Hong Kong and he decided not to sign the compromise offered by
the Americans to him and his cohorts there to accept American rule in the
Philippines. His cohorts were able to come back to help govern the nation -
many of whom got positions in the colonial government. (My great grandfather
was a high-ranking revolutionary officer became the 1st congressman of the
1st district of Leyte province.) He decided to stay in Hong Kong.

Left Hong Kong after a harassment effort made by the Americans during his
stay there and he ended up going to Japan.

Spent nearly 40 years in Japan exclusively before returning to the
Philippines in 1941 during the invasion. He led a cadre of Filipino elite
soldiers under the Japanese government to hunt down the rebel elements that
have remained loyal to the Americans. He died in 1944 in the field due
presumably to sickness.

Though anti-Japanese sentiment persevered in the Philippines after the
liberation government took over. Almost all Filipino officials were absolved
of cooperating with the Japanese government. Artemio Ricarte is generally
considered one of the heroes of the Revolution by most historians after -
even though he sided with the Japanese.

Hehe, you guys just touched on one of my future book projects on hold. It's
nice to know people over there know a bit of our Philippine history as well.
:)

Fed