Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:30:48 +0800 (SGT)

>During my very boring first hour American Government class I started to
>wonder how many people on the GML speak Japanese. There always seems to be a
>couple of posts every once in awhile where someone gets something out of a
>Japanese mag (Dengenki Hobby, Hobby Japan, etc.) and shares it with the rest
>of the list, meaning that some people out there have some sort of
>understanding of the Japanese language. I just wanted to know who out there
>among us can speak/read Japanese.
>
>I've been studying Japanese for about a year now. I can read and write in
>hiragana and katakana and I know a few kanji. That's about the extent of my
>Japanese language skills.

Well, I've been studying Japanese intensively for 1-2 years, and less
intensively for another 1-2 years. Which makes my sum total about 3-4 years.
^_^ In any case, I think I'm pretty good, though not perfect - I can read
basically anything (even the Asahi Shimbun, though that takes time) and I
can speak and read well enough. So I my standard is pretty good, though I'd
like to improve...just got a job as a translator. ^_^

Zhou Tai An (kain@pacific.net.sg)