Lim Jyue (lim_jyue@pacific.net.sg)
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 06:57:16 +0800

At 13:40 02/14/2001 -0800, Gundam EZEight wrote:
>but considering the fact that they can only pump out
>so many PG's at a time, don't you think that we'd have
>more of a chance to see a fave design go PG'ed earlier
>instead of having to wait?

        No, not really. Bandai *might* consult their fans on what they want
on the PG list, but *I* certainly haven't heard of any such survey. Since
PGs are a large chunk of money to invest in -- designing all those mechanics
can't be cheap, nor can the cost of producing that many components --
eventually Bandai have to come out with a popular PG design that will rake
in the cash.

        Wing, thanks to its exposure in the US, is as I understand it
popular right now. Bandai's timing of the release of W0C is too fine to be
anything other than an effort to ride the wave of the popularity in the US.
If that helps the PG line stays afloat, I'm more than happy to see a W0C.
After all, it's the Winger's cash that's helping the line stay afloat, not
mine. =)

        A possibly nasty conclusion one can reach from the fact that Bandai
had to ride on the popularity wave is that the PG line isn't doing very well
prior to the W0C release. The Gundam, Zaku and Zeta are all old designs,
approx. 20 - 25 years old, and are likely to be purchased by really old fans
who can afford the hefty price tag.

        How many units were actually purchased is anyone's guess, but I
think sales were lower than what Bandai expected -- the PG really's too good
for casual model builders, but a substantial investment for the
not-so-casual builders, which makes it a no-where kit.

        All in all, if I have to bear with a couple of Wing PG -- which,
since I don't intent to buy it, I ain't complaining -- so that I can have
other PGs, it's fine by me.