garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:50:03 -0800 (PST)

--- "Juan Alberto B. Mercado"
<juanalberto.m@lycos.com> wrote:
> OK, let me explain my side in this whole "issue".
> First off, I just want to see good posts again and
> I'm wishing all this animosity between UC and
> Alternates at least see a ceasefire for a day or
> two. Second, I admit to not liking Wing. I don't
> think there's anything wrong with that, but I don't
> think there's anything wrong about liking it either
> (that goes for all of us). What I'm saying is that
> since I started being on this list, the bashing and
> flaming seems to be inevitable and probably, its
> something we have to learn to live with. This time
> however, its turned into an insulting list. This has
> got to stop. I remember the times when there were
> debates about this, but I never recalled blatant
> namecalling. Lets be civil. I don't like Wing, that
> much is true, but in all the debates I was ever
> involved here, I never resorted to insults. (Sorry,
> Garr's post just hit me the wrong way). Third, when
> I meant an 'education" I'm refering to Wing fans who
> haven't seen UC. There are quite a number of them
> here, and all I'm saying is that they could enjoy
> the list better if they knew more about UC Gundam
> rather than slug it out with UC purists.
> ---
> Abet
> "Dete Unakereba, Yararenakatta no ni!"
> Come on over to the ALTERNATIVE SIDE at
> http://www.geocities.com/char_xxph

sorry about that. wasn't trying to insult you, and
not saying you resorted to insults (not you anyway),
but your post rubbed me (and those who don't have
anything against gundam wing) the wrong way too, and
is the reason i butted in on this thread. :P

and i quote:

"Much as I hate to admit it, Wing Fans have a right to
be here (ouch). But the bashing (as I have observed
it) is probably unavoidable, so to Wing
fans, get an education on the old UC. It helps a lot
and besides and it will help you understand just what
the whole GUNDAM thing is really about."

the whole thing smacks of spacenoid elitism. your
first sentence is the ticker. ouch indeed. and as
for the getting an education bit, richie said it
already. it's not just about wingers needing to know
about UC, but UC purists should realize they don't own
the gundam franchise (unless they're bandai or
tomino).

i've been subscribed to the list for two++ years, and
richie's been here probably for twice as long. the AC
vs UC rift isn't ever going to heal. just surf the
gml archives, any gundam websites, gundamshop,
gundam.com, and you'll see the hopelessness of it all.
  the best you see is each side pretending the other
doesn't exist. very little reasonable debate with
substance. only seldom will you see discussions on
"why UC is better" without any dissing and insulting
wing fans and g gundam fans. discussions on why 'wing
isn't as bad as UC purists make it out' are even
rarer.

you yourself admitted in the other email that you join
the UC side in bashing wing a few times. how can you
then turn around and start lecturing us about keeping
the peace between all gundam fandoms? as someone who
likes UC, wing and g gundam, i'm a little incredulous
and annoyed (no offense, but you DO understand why) by
what you said.

and to think gundam is just an animated show. you can
begin to understand what is broken with the human
society at large just by observing the gundam fandom
at war with each other. whoopee.

-garr
a rant a day keeps the doctor away...