-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:41:50 -0800

> >Dubbing is a necessary evil -- we'll always have to have it, for reasons
cited
> >in any number of posts, so it's necessary, but it will always alter to the
> >character of the production, so it's evil. As has been noted elsewhere, some
of

> Actually, I don't believe it's a necessary evil at all. It's just that
> people are far too lazy and in some cases, xenophobic (yes, it's true - I
> firmly believe there is some small, but present, element of xenophobia in
> dubbing) to want to read subs. If only people could get to watch more subs,
> I think the situation would turn around.

I don't thinks it's xenophobia so much as it is Anglocentrism -- Americans
expect their entertainment to be in American. And, while American literacy has
been declining to the point where reading is indeed hard work for far too many,
I don't think it's the difficulty of trying to read the subtitles while watching
the show so much as a belief that entertainment should be, well, entertaining.
Subtitles are simply considered more trouble than they're worth for anything
less than a must-see blockbuster.

Even then, an American remake like Point Of No Return is more likely to sell
than a subtitled original like La Femme Nikita.

> >the English language version The Mysterious Cities Of Gold by DIC is actually
> >better than the original Japanese show on which it's based, Child Of The Sun
> >Esteban. I haven't seen or heard the latter, but I know I liked the former
so
> >much that, to this day, I'm still trying to find the Polydor recording of the
> >soundtrack.
>
> Can't you get it from Amazon or E-Bay?

Sadly, no. It was released on cassette over 15 years ago -- about the same time
as Robotech, in fact -- and, while popular at the time, apparently not popular
enough to warrant reissue on CD.

> This isn't always as bad as it seems...what you must consider, in the case
> of most dubs, that's it's NOT a translation. Yes, you heard me. It's not.
> What it is a totally different take on a character - something like a
> fanfic, if you will. For example, some characters in the American release of
> Momonoke Hime aren't like their Japanese counterparts at all (Ashitaka comes
> to mind) In this case, I consider Ashitaka a different character entirely.
> I'll still prefer the Japanese version, of course (I'm biased ^_^) but it's
> something to think about.

Those changes were deliberate and calculated. Neil Gaiman was commissioned to
rewrite it for an American audience and Billy Crudup took his cue from Gaiman's
screenplay, not Yohji Matsuda's delivery. It's more of an adaptation than a
translation. Given that, it's surprisingly faithful to the original, especially
compared to Warriors Of The Wind, the 1984 American adaptation of Miyazaki's
Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa.

(Yohji Matsuda's in Nausicaa, too -- as Asbel. Type casting?)

> >I've seen two different English language versions of Galaxy Express 999. The
> >first was done by Roger Corman in 1985 and I saw it on Cinemax in 1986. I
>
> Wow, that early?

Corman, like a lot of American filmmakers, was a devotee of anime, as well as
European comics like Metal Hurlant (Heavy Metal over here), although his main
influence was Kurosawa. GE999 must've really knocked him out and he decided to
show it to the rest of the world the only way he knew how.

> The problem with DVDs is that they cost a lot of money...^_^

One of the reasons I started buying DVDs in the first place was that I could get
more episodes for less money that way. That goes double when you consider that
you'd have to buy two sets of VHS tapes, one dubbed and one subbed, to get the
benefits of one set of DVDs.

Unless, of course, they start dumping dubbed-only DVDs on us...!?!

-Z-