Ray Pegoraro (mond1969@mediaone.net)
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 13:56:51 -0500

Can you resend the link please?

Thanks
Ray

Again, I hate to say you're giving HG way too much credit. I'm with the
'Robotech
Research Group' (ie the link I gave before) that has been contracted to work
on
continuity and canon issues for HG. The series used the Macross names simply
because
it never thought to use anything else. They simply translated the original
Japanese
dialogue. There was no 'dragging of feet,' because the invention of the
Matchbox
names came from outside of HG, and AFAIK came afterwards. If anything, the
Macross
names are the 'licensed' names (since HG had a license for all Macross and
related
products).

The recent use of the original names is not an attempt to move Robotech
closer to
Macross, but simply a recognition by us, and approval by HG, that those are
the
names used in the dialogue. HG didnt make up the Matchbox names, and never
even had
a mechanism to do so. There has basically never been any internal HG
oversight of
what is official or not. The Matchbox names are no more official than any of
the
other myriad products that HG licensed out, but gave no oversight of, that
have
resulted in such invented things as the Vindicator (RPG), SDF-7 or thinking
caps
(McKinney), etc.

    Neil Baumgardner