Leslie_R (trojan@atoka.net)
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 08:51:32 -0600

Char Aznable wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:42:15 -0800 (PST), gundam@aeug.org wrote:
>
> > what are the chances of one of those races reaching
> > earth? not likely. look deep. the sea creatures look
> > pretty alien already. chances are, the first alien we
> > encouter will be very familiar to us.
>
> you can't say not likely. other sentient beings in the universe can be more
> advanced as we are. on the other hand, they can be sentient and yet
> primitive, like we were in the stone age.
>
> that is why I would disagree that we insert aliens into the Gundam
> storyline. why? because aliens that will reach earth will always be
> technologically superior to us. otherwise how would they reach earth? and
> if you watch the super robots, there's always alien technology involved in
> the super robots for them to beat this aliens because earth technology is
> ancient compared to thsoe invading aliens. now do you think a Gundam would
> be technologically superior enough to beat those aliens? I don't think so.
> remember that Gundam is a technological breakthrough for its timeline. the
> armor material, the humanoid form, everything was state of the art. but if
> alien technology can make battleships and hurl them across the universe at
> the speed of light or even faster, I think Gundam technology would be
> available in science kits at the local K-Mart from wherever part of the
> galaxy they came from. it would be that simple and that primitve compared
> to what they have.

good points, but not absolute, people have been pointing to Dream Pod 9
products so i will to.. in Heavy Gear FLT travel is possible through use
of spacial anomalies calld Tannhauser gates that must be opened by huge
expendatures of energy.. the aparatis for this is so big and bulky that
the 'gateships' are truely mammoth... it could be possible that an FTL
technology and effective military technologies could be mutually
exclusive due to engineering concerns and on the one hand you have an
alien fleet with sleek and powerfull warships, but the biggest of the
big ships everyone would be scared of at first sight would be just big
lumbering leviathans devoting too much space ot the means of getting
them all home to mount all but token armaments

also you forget Minovsky physics, though it is possible that other races
might make that discovery it's not guaranteed, nor is it's possible uses
militarily, and then there are the newtype weapons...

an interesting book i recently read about an on-going intergalactic war
between two vast stellar nations intruiged me.. anyway one of the
factions is desperate to find allies to help battle the mind-controled
legions of the opposing side, and then they find earth.. after
confronting a terran and finding him (much to his ow suprise) both
physically superior to almost every other race they have encountered and
disturbingly well-equiped mentally for combat the scales get tipped..
turns out all the other advanced races except humans got to be so
enherintly advanced by becoming increadible pacifists, so much so that
some individuals need massive doses of tranquilizers just ot raise a
weapon in self-defense without going catatonic... in this universe if it
were Star Trek, WE would be the Klingons.

-Les

--
"He's a God, it'll take more than one shot."
     -Lady Eboshi, 'Princess Mononoke'