Char Aznable (charaznable@excite.com)
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:04:28 -0800 (PST)


On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:30:31 -0800 (PST), gundam@aeug.org wrote:

> i think the concept of evolution is a bit
> misunderstood, char. evolution is not so much as
> creatures *actively* mutate and adapt to their
> environments (that's like 1 in a gazillion
> chance...neither is it freak mutations, possible, but
> not probable), but that the ones with the beneficial
> differences are the ones that survive.

I think what I stated about evolution is correct (as a theory), don't forget
that there are many "sub-theories" of evolution such as natural selection
and other things that I don't remember anymore because the last time we
discussed it was in a science class in highschool. although your point is
also one of those sub-theories.

> a hypothetical example would be the giraffe. the
> giraffe did not grow long necks to reach treetops.
> rather, the giraffes with longer necks survived to
> pass on the long-necked trait, while the ones with
> shorter necks died out. that's a bit of a ridiculous
> and extreme example, but you get the idea.

on the contrary, there are Giraffes with short necks on our own back-yard,
in the Philippine island of Palawan. these same Giraffes were brought from
Africa in the hopes of putting them in a more carefully watched environment
with the intention of helping preserve the species. they were surprised
that after a few decades they seem to be shorter than their African cousins.

another example is the house dog. the house dog came to because they
evolved from wolves and other "dogs" when they were domesticated. an
example of this are some foxes (I forgot what kind of fox exactly and where,
I just saw this on Discovery Channel) that were being hunted down for fur.
they deicded to just catch a few and grow them in captivity for reasons that
they do not have to go through all the trouble of hunting, and that they
wouldn't wipe out the population. in as little as 50 years they saw
differences in the foxes in captivity than those in the wild, not only in
behavior but in physical attributes as well, especially the white fur
growing on those in captivity even though none of their species ever had
those.

there are but a few proofs that part of evolution is adapting to your
environment, not that the theory you presented is wrong, but what I'm
proving is what I said isn't wrong either

and so as not to go way too OT, why look further than Gundam itself? didn't
Char's dad (forgot the name, sorry, I'm at work, can't think too much of
other things) believe that Newtypes are the next step in the human
evolution? and this is because humans have adopted into his new
envorinment, which is space. again, the non Newtype humans aren't a dyring
race just because they didn't have Newtype powers nor does it mean they
can't live in space.

> and if you want to know how imperfect and lacking the
> human body is, all you need to do is observe the
> animal kingdom. humans perform pitifully in all
> aspects compared to their animal friends, except
> mental aptitude (and even that isn't something 100% of
> our species can claim to have -- witness the darwin
> awards, hehehe).

true. I was to point that out earlier. from strength to speed to agility,
we're not the number one, nor are we the perfectly balanced.

you even really don't have to go that far. the different races of man has
advantages and disadvantages from one another. this is brought about by the
differences in our environment.

_______________________________________________________
Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

-
Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at http://gundam.aeug.org/



This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0b3 on Thu Feb 08 2001 - 14:04:32 JST