garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:30:31 -0800 (PST)

--- Char Aznable <charaznable@excite.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 08:47:55 -0800 (PST),
> gundam@aeug.org wrote:
>
> > in a way, all are humans. think about it. how
> likely
> > is it that highly advanced aliens would be spider
> > like. i feel that the human body is the perfect
> life
> > form. it is the right size and posture. a little
> > fragile, but still....
>
> I disagree. on our perspective right now the human
> body is the perfect life
> form, but how sure are we? there are billions of
> stars out there and
> revolving around those stars are billions of
> planets. there has to be at
> least one sentient race in each galaxy. I never
> believed in the theory of
> evolution but considering it an organism could
> evolve many ways depending on
> its environment. we could be taking about organisms
> more agile, more
> powerful in physical strength, resistant to foreign
> micro-organisms, even
> resistant to extreme conditions.

i think the concept of evolution is a bit
misunderstood, char. evolution is not so much as
creatures *actively* mutate and adapt to their
environments (that's like 1 in a gazillion
chance...neither is it freak mutations, possible, but
not probable), but that the ones with the beneficial
differences are the ones that survive.

a hypothetical example would be the giraffe. the
giraffe did not grow long necks to reach treetops.
rather, the giraffes with longer necks survived to
pass on the long-necked trait, while the ones with
shorter necks died out. that's a bit of a ridiculous
and extreme example, but you get the idea.

and if you want to know how imperfect and lacking the
human body is, all you need to do is observe the
animal kingdom. humans perform pitifully in all
aspects compared to their animal friends, except
mental aptitude (and even that isn't something 100% of
our species can claim to have -- witness the darwin
awards, hehehe).

-garr