Wed, 07 Feb 2001 16:49:57 -0800

BlazeEagle wrote:

> From: "Gundam EZEight" <rx_79g_ez_8@yahoo.com>
>
> > in a way, all are humans. think about it. how likely
> > is it that highly advanced aliens would be spider
> > like. i feel that the human body is the perfect life
> > form. it is the right size and posture. a little
> > fragile, but still....
>
> Makes sense. Aliens could easily be humans from another universe or galaxy.
> In the Hyperion series of books by Dan Simmons, there are these "aliens"
> called Ousters who are nothing more then enhanced humans, one of the books
> seems to hint that they are from the Future.

The biggest problem with truly alien aliens is that viewers have no frame of
reference for dealing with them. Even the best writers invariably end up with
aliens that are really humans in a different skin, if only because its so
difficult to do differently. I think one of the best instances I've seen of
aliens in a game were the ones in Independence War. You had no clue what was
going on, why they were there, or even why you kept running into them. Even
when the game was over, you were no wiser. And simply put, that's probably how
initial interactions with aliens would turn out.

junior